From email of Monday, Sept 29, 2008: Did another tropical storm hit Connecticut? I really wish I had some news source. It's been raining hard the past few days & I might just float away!
I've been almost a week with my new companion . . . & I absolutely love her! :) Sister Holly Haueter (right with Brenda) from Smithfield, UT. She's very personable & funny so we are always laughing. She loves music & theater stuff & has an amazing voice. Plus she's sooo sweet. Our numbers are much higher this week since she's been here & we didn't tract near as much as usual. Oh . . . & she thinks she knows Joel [Brenda's brother] maybe from The Old Barn performances. And she knows a member of the bishopric's wife's brother. Crazy world. The church makes the world so much smaller.
Sister Wilson was shipped off to Rhode Island with Sisters Jones & Lambertson. They got to open up a new area in East Providence. I'm a bit jealous because their apartment is right on the bay & they can wake up to a sunrise gleaming on the water. Grrr. Maybe I'll get my turn there! We got a new sister Tuesday, Sister Timothy from Bear Lake, UT. She's about 5'11" & skinny as a stick. She was a runner so that explains things. Her trainer, Sister Baird, is only on her 3rd transfer!
It's been a slow week as far as appointments go. We had one yesterday with Arthur. We're not sure if he's really interested in joining the church right now, but we'll see how things go this week. Our other investigator appointments cancelled on us. We met with our usual less-actives so that is going good. We spent a good part of this week going through our area book & chucking things we don't need. Plus we're setting up a "game plan" for the area. Our ward has a mission plan for 2008, but I saw it for the 1st time yesterday. Hopefully we will be sparking a fire in the ward to get the members more excited about missionary work.
Saturday night we went to the mission home to watch the Relief Society Broadcast on the BYU channel. Sister Pehrson made us a very yummy dinner & it was just like being home! I love her to death. Pres. & Sister Pehrson are definitely my parents away from home. The broadcast was VERY good! I loved Pres. Uchtdorf's talk. It was exactly what I needed to hear. As women, we have some built in mechanism that makes us compare ourselves to others. We focus more on what we cannot do than the good things we have to offer. He hit two points in his talk: creating & being compassionate. I realize that I need to stop worrying about myself & get out there serving the people in my area.
I'm loving the work now, more so since Sister Haueter came. She's always happy & puts me in such a good mood. I never have to worry about not measuring up or doing things wrong. We're both learning & growing together, but I like to be selfish & say I'm learning the most from her!
I've gained such a strong testimony that Heavenly Father does love me. There are times when I feel like crap & don't know what to do. But I just have to go to my knees in prayer & I'm encircled in His arms of love. I'm never alone. And he has given me weaknesses so that I can learn to overcome them & become the person that He wants me to be. I just have to be humble & submit myself to the will & the timetable of the Lord. I know that He is directing this work. It will "go forth boldly, nobly, & independent 'til it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, & sounded in every ear, 'til the purposes of God shall be accomplished & the Great Jehovah shall say, 'The work is done' " (Standard of Truth). Thank you so much for all of the prayers. Continue to pray for the missionaries because we need all the help we can get. Love to you all!
I've been almost a week with my new companion . . . & I absolutely love her! :) Sister Holly Haueter (right with Brenda) from Smithfield, UT. She's very personable & funny so we are always laughing. She loves music & theater stuff & has an amazing voice. Plus she's sooo sweet. Our numbers are much higher this week since she's been here & we didn't tract near as much as usual. Oh . . . & she thinks she knows Joel [Brenda's brother] maybe from The Old Barn performances. And she knows a member of the bishopric's wife's brother. Crazy world. The church makes the world so much smaller.
Sister Wilson was shipped off to Rhode Island with Sisters Jones & Lambertson. They got to open up a new area in East Providence. I'm a bit jealous because their apartment is right on the bay & they can wake up to a sunrise gleaming on the water. Grrr. Maybe I'll get my turn there! We got a new sister Tuesday, Sister Timothy from Bear Lake, UT. She's about 5'11" & skinny as a stick. She was a runner so that explains things. Her trainer, Sister Baird, is only on her 3rd transfer!
It's been a slow week as far as appointments go. We had one yesterday with Arthur. We're not sure if he's really interested in joining the church right now, but we'll see how things go this week. Our other investigator appointments cancelled on us. We met with our usual less-actives so that is going good. We spent a good part of this week going through our area book & chucking things we don't need. Plus we're setting up a "game plan" for the area. Our ward has a mission plan for 2008, but I saw it for the 1st time yesterday. Hopefully we will be sparking a fire in the ward to get the members more excited about missionary work.
Saturday night we went to the mission home to watch the Relief Society Broadcast on the BYU channel. Sister Pehrson made us a very yummy dinner & it was just like being home! I love her to death. Pres. & Sister Pehrson are definitely my parents away from home. The broadcast was VERY good! I loved Pres. Uchtdorf's talk. It was exactly what I needed to hear. As women, we have some built in mechanism that makes us compare ourselves to others. We focus more on what we cannot do than the good things we have to offer. He hit two points in his talk: creating & being compassionate. I realize that I need to stop worrying about myself & get out there serving the people in my area.
I'm loving the work now, more so since Sister Haueter came. She's always happy & puts me in such a good mood. I never have to worry about not measuring up or doing things wrong. We're both learning & growing together, but I like to be selfish & say I'm learning the most from her!
I've gained such a strong testimony that Heavenly Father does love me. There are times when I feel like crap & don't know what to do. But I just have to go to my knees in prayer & I'm encircled in His arms of love. I'm never alone. And he has given me weaknesses so that I can learn to overcome them & become the person that He wants me to be. I just have to be humble & submit myself to the will & the timetable of the Lord. I know that He is directing this work. It will "go forth boldly, nobly, & independent 'til it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, & sounded in every ear, 'til the purposes of God shall be accomplished & the Great Jehovah shall say, 'The work is done' " (Standard of Truth). Thank you so much for all of the prayers. Continue to pray for the missionaries because we need all the help we can get. Love to you all!


0 comments
Post a Comment