From Feb. 2, 2009 email:
We've had a hint of spring these past few days. Temperatures are in the 40s! I think I'm ready for a break from winter. But I hear we're getting another big storm in tonight so that break will have to wait for a while. They say that about every 15 years they get some big storms in RI and that year just happens to be this one. Apparently there hasn't been this much snow since the "Blizzard of '78."
We weren't able to meet with any of our investigators this week because of scheduling conflicts. We spent a lot of our time with less-actives, members, contacting, & tracting. Saturday afternoon Sister Jones and I did a "blitz" of Kennedy Plaza, the bus station. We separated (but were still within sight & hearing of each other) and talked to as many people as possible. Even if they were crazy, we still talked to them. We met some very interesting people as usual. But a lot of the people were very open about listening to us. One lady had wanted to be a nun when she was growing up, but stopped going to the Catholic church when she wasn't allow to ask questions. I hear a lot of stories like that. We got into a friendly "discussion" with some Born Again Christians, which was very education but a total waste of time. We had given them a pamphlet on the Plan of Salvation & they picked apart every little sentence, saying that nothing made sense in it. Hmmm...I think the fact that we lived with our Heavenly Father before this earthly journey makes perfect sense. It also makes sense that we learned & progressed there, but only to a certain point. We need this experience on earth to become like our Heavenly Father. The lady told me to put down the Book of Mormon & read the Bible; then I would find out that everything I testified about was wrong. It just so happens that I read the Bible that morning & found plenty of evidence to support the Plan of Salvation. I'm surprised at how calm & collected I was through the whole ordeal. Knowing the truth brings a lot of peace. I'll try to avoid a future "bashing session" because I have work to do!
Friday night we had dinner with Sister Washington & her kids. She's a convert of a few years, but is so strongly rooted in the gospel. She's a super good knitter & has got me wanting to start. Maybe I'll pick up that hobby when I get home. We did an "Armor of God" FHE lesson which went very well. Dante, Sister Washington's son, was our warrior that we dressed up in the armor of god. Sister Washington had invited over a co-worker who was going through a hard time & she said that the lesson answered a few prayers. It's such a great feeling to know that you are able to help people out.
Wednesday we helped serve lunch at a memorial dinner for all the homeless people that had died this past year. We have been doing a lot of service around the homeless & it makes me SO grateful for all the wonderful things I have: family, home, food, the gospel etc. I'm glad to have that family support if anything were to go wrong. We are all commanded to be as Jesus Christ who helped everyone. Most of whom he helped were those who had little or nothing.
Elder Carr, one of the senior missionaries, is going in for triple bi-pass surgery today. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers. I hope everyone has a great week! Keep all the missionaries in your prayers...you never know how much you can do with one little prayer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments
Post a Comment