Posted on 12:29 PM

Baptism!

By Brenda's Mom at 12:29 PM

From October 13, 2009 email: It sounds like it is apple season! We also had our own apple pressing fun last Monday. Bro. Ouellette, the ward mission leader, invited us over for FHE with the Mejias family to make some homemade apple cider. We used an old-fashioned hand press which gave us a good workout. But just like anything in life, good things require work. And boy was that cider good!



We had worked up a thirsty appetite earlier that day by hiking up to the Heublein Tower atop Avon Mountain. The folks around here like to call it a mountain, but it's more of a little bump in the landscape. It's the highest point in the area and some rich guy built a tower on top which is now open to the public. It was quite the trek, but the view was amazing! We could see for miles! We're planning to go back next Monday to catch the leaves at peak. Hopefully they're still on the trees by then!
Amanda did get baptized on Saturday! Will Rice, the teenage brother of the girl that invited her to church, baptized her. She was beaming that whole day because she had been waiting a long time for that moment. She still hasn't told her mother that she got baptized so hopefully that doesn't bring resentment towards the church when she does find out. Amanda's father said he would take all of the backlash because he authorized the baptism. Hmm...that makes me SO grateful for the family that I have!

Saturday we also had a fun experience at the town of Windsor Chili Cook-off. A member had informed us of the event a few weeks back and hinted that it would be a great place to go contacting. And it was! We were able to hand out a lot of pass-along cards and even some DVDs. Plus the chili was good. One of my favorites was the Celtic Chili, which promised to "put a wee bit of wind in yer pipes."

Friday night we found a family that has some great potential. All of our appointments had fallen through for the night. So we turned to our back-up plans of tracting. At one door, a Jamaican lady chatted for us a bit and then eventually let us in. We proceeded to teach a lesson on the Restoration, which she was intrigued by. She had grown up Pentacostal, but was still searching for something. Her husband pulled up in the driveway and we Sisters exchanged some nervous glances because you never know how the spouse will react to strangers in the house. But he sat right down and listened to our message. Then he said, "Wow, can you believe that just last night we said that we needed to find a church. Plus my wife NEVER lets anyone in the house or even answers the door." I'm glad that he recognized us as an answer to prayers. So we'll be working with them later on this week.

We are having a wonderful time being a trio. Sister Pulham is amazing! I love being able to serve with her. She’s from Lehi, UT, but got her call while at BYU-Hawaii. What I really love is that she is a sports fan too! She actually played college soccer in Iowa & Hawaii. Yesterday for p-day she taught me how to play and I really enjoyed it. We beat some of the Elders in a game so that shows how good she is! She will be out here until the first week in January. Temple square sisters go on “outbounds” anytime after their third transfer so they get to experience the ups and downs of “real” missionary work.

(above left to right: Murray, Monson, Pulham, Baird, Thomas, Sister Pehrson, Johnston, Darrington, Mortimer, Timothy)

The leaves out here are BEAUTIFUL! I wish all of you could experience them. I’ll send some pictures home just so you can get a taste of what it’s really like. Fall is definitely here! Thinking about the change of seasons made me realize that I don’t have much time left. There are only two more transfers left after this one. I still can’t believe how time passes by so quickly. I really need to dig in deep and finish with a bang! I’ve been blessed not to be trunky. This is the best thing I could be doing right now!




























































































0 comments