Posted on 10:27 AM

Spiritual Records

By Brenda's Mom at 10:27 AM

From email of Jan. 19, 2010: The weather out here can't make up it's mind! The past few days we've had spring-like weather in the 40s. Now today, there's been rain and then snow! As they say in New England, if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute.

The past few weeks I've set a goal to write in my journal every night and so far I've succeeded! I want to remember the good times that I've had on my mission. I kick myself for not writing more earlier in my mission because those experiences have come and gone and most are not written down. I remember Adam told me last Christmas to write in my journal as often as possible, but I didn't do as well as I should have. In zone conference a few weeks ago, President Pehrson stressed that we needed to write down our spiritual experiences & feelings, rather than the day-to-day things that we did. So I've taken that to heart. Each night, I write down an experience that strengthened my testimony. Some nights it's easy to see those experiences, such as a powerful lesson with an investigator. But other times, I've had to really reflect on my day and look for those little things that the Spirit witnessed to me. I've been able to see the "tender mercies" more often as I do this.

Susan is progressing along so well! She wants me there for her baptism so she is making the necessary changes to her life so she can be baptized. We talked about the 10 Commandments and Susan brought up a good point: the world has forgotten about these basic rules. Most people know they exist, but don't realize that they are actually commandments from God. I guess you can see where people put their priorities. She thanked us SO much for teaching her. She is so humble and teachable. She soaks everything in and wants to follow Heavenly Father's will. I'm so humbled & grateful for my opportunity to teach her these last few weeks of my mission. It is a marvelous blessing from Heavenly Father!

I was reading today in 2 Nephi 9 about Jacob's exhortation to the people to repent and something struck me. He speaks about those who are "puffed up because of their learning, and their wisdom, and their riches," or basically those who are not humble and repentant. In verse 43 it explains that "the things of the wise and the prudent shall be hid from them forever, yea, that HAPPINESS which is prepared for the saints." Those who do not keep the commandments will never be truely happy. Look at the world around us today. The things of the world claim to bring you instant happiness, but it quickly fades away. People turn to the next claim of happiness, only to find it even shallower than the first. If they could just realize that happiness is in the gospel of Jesus Christ! I reflect on the times that I was the most miserable in my life. Those were the times that I wasn't humble, submissive, patient, repentant, etc. But now that I'm living the gospel to a greater degree as a missionary, I have found that joy. And I have helped others on their way to finding it also. I love it!

The days are slipping by quickly. Before you know it, I'll be home! I'm excited to see you all!

1 comments

susiegct on February 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

somehow I found this blog and wanted to post my thoughts to/about Sister Darrington.
To Mom,
I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for allowing your daughter to come to CT and teach the gospel. I have been blessed with the sisters coming into my life and sharing all that they have. I have truely enjoyed every moment that they have been willing to teach me the gospel, and there have been days that we have shared in laughter,dinners and even tears. I am a believer that everyone comes into your life for a reason. If never more then now, I know this to be true. I am going to miss her so much. It has been important to me that she been here with me when I was baptized. I am looking forward to a new beginning but not looking forward to saying see you again soon. Sister Darrington has touched my life in many ways. I hope in my lifetime that I be able to touch another person as she has touched mine. She is a very special person who I have grown to love very much. But she has also touched our family as well. Someday down the road when Dean and I seal our marriage together I hope she will be able to share in that as well. She will always be in my prayers and in my heart. Thank you again for sharing such a beautiful daughter with us. We are the ones that have been blessed a thousand times over. Love Susan.