Posted on 10:55 AM

Interesting holiday

By Brenda's Mom at 10:55 AM

From July 6, 2009 email: It sounds like everyone had a wonderful Independence Day. Mine was quite interesting...a wedding, baptism, and a BBQ! Friday afternoon, Pres. Pehrson left us a message on our phone saying that he wanted us to be witnesses for a wedding he was performing in the Groton chapel on the 4th. We called him back and got the full story: a sailor in the navy and his fiancee’ were going to get married in Utah, but the Navy wouldn't let him go. They had the reception and everything all planned out. How stinky is that?! So they decided to do a quiet ceremony here in Groton. However, Bishop Mason was out of town so they got a hold of President Pehrson. It was quite the experience. Ruby, the bride will be in our ward in the next three months. Phil, her Tongan husband, should be coming whenever the Navy will let him go.

Then we headed to a baptism that the New London Spanish Elders were having. Everything was in Spanish so I didn't understand a single thing of it, but the Spirit knows no language. The Spirit was very strong there. I stumbled through the Spanish versions of "I Am a Child of God" and "I Need Thee Every Hour" but I still felt that same burning inside. That is a huge testimony to me of the truthfulness of the gospel. It feels the same no matter where you are.

The Harpels took us in for a BBQ since no one else offered to feed us. They are so good to us! I can't remember if I told you that Sister Harpel made us each blankets that folded into pillows and also bought us a Navy shirt to remember Groton by. Plus they are always feeding us when other people fall through. They have a son out on a mission in Peru/Bolivia who gets home in December. I think they're so good to us because we remind them of him!

We dropped by Kelsi and Seth this week. They are doing AWESOME! They came to church along with his two other boys and stayed the whole time! That's improvement. He said that while they were in Utah, his cousin said something in a talk that hit him. He wants to change his life around. Now he's completely given up smoking, drinking, swearing, etc. He is so much happier! We are so excited! This makes all the hard missionary work worth it! Kelsi is excited for this change in her life. She is such a sweet girl!

We are seeing a slight change in Gloria. She is being humbled, which is exactly what she needs. She fed us last night and we also had a wonderful scripture study lesson. She committed to read the entire Book of Mormon since she has never done that before. We promised her that she would get the answer that she is looking for...as long as she is humble. We got a picture of her and her husband, Russ.

There was a crazy storm that rolled through here on Wednesday. It poured...and poured...and poured...and poured! Streets were flooded, cars were stranded, and many basements were full of water. I've never seen so much water come down in so short of time. We had our interviews with Pres. & Sister Pehrson that day in Waterford and the water was running off of the building like a waterfall! There was more booming thunder and lightning. Crazy, crazy storm!

I'm glad that the Durfees [sister & brother-in-law] are moved back to Idaho! That makes visiting a lot easier when I get back! I'll be either getting home for Christmas or on February 10th...hopefully the former! I have to talk with President about it to see when he'll let me go. I'm enjoying my mission so much, but I realize that it will have to come to a close some day. I've learned SO much out here and I've had amazing experiences. I can't wait to share all of them with you when I get home!

0 comments