From email of Sept. 28, 2009: This week we went on exchanges with the Sisters in Newport. Sister Thomas (below left) went over the bridge to Newport with Sister Johnston (below rear) and my greenie, Sister Mortimer (below right), came with me to Windsor. It was so much fun to be back with her! She has grown so much in testimony and spirit since we were last together. We reminised about our Groton days and laughed at our funny experiences. Then I took her over to see the Oliver Ellsworth homestead, which just happens to be a distant relative of hers! It was a pretty successful day with a couple of new investigators and some great lessons with LA/RC and Dominick. I love exchanges because not only does it build our friendships with other Sisters, but we get a bit of refreshing. Sometimes we get into a rut when we are with the same companion for a long time. We ended our exchange with lunch & ice cream (of course!) at Friendly's, the East Coast version of Denny's. 
On Friday, we helped a young mother pack up her house & move. She was super stressed out about it and didn't have much time to prepare so we were glad to help. But she had SOOO much stuff! I don't think she would have been out of there that day if we wouldn't have helped her. We definitely got our work-out hauling huge boxes up the stairs from the basement. Both of us were super sore the next day! One thing I've learned on my mission is the joy that comes from unselfish service. If I don't expect anything in return, then the spiritual blessings pour in. I've struggled for a long time to "forget myself and go to work," but I'm finally catching the vision. I'm definitely going to extend my service opportunities more often when I get home!
Saturday evening was the General Relief Society Broadcast which I loved! As it was starting, I thought to myself, "Mom, my sisters, and the other wonderful women in my life are all doing the exact same thing I am doing." I felt so close to all of you because we were united in purpose. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. But I held strong. After hearing the messages from the Relief Society sisters, I committed myself to always to my visiting teaching. I didn't realize how important it is to visit these sisters each month and how many lives you can touch through it.
But there was one thing that really struck me. President Eyring was speaking about the connection between the Atonement and charity. When we truly come to understand the Atonement, our hearts are changed. We want to be like Christ and have no more desire to do evil. When our hearts are changed, they have a greater capacity to love like Christ did. One of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon is Alma 5. Alma said:
"Behold, he changed their hearts; yea, he awakened them out of a deep sleep, and they awoke unto God."
". . . a mighty change was also wrought in their hearts, and they humbled themselves and put their trust in the true and living God."
"And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?"
"And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?"
That message touched me so much because I have felt that change in my heart. I felt a portion of it before I came out on my mission, but it has changed immensely since being out here. I know that when we have that change, we will do as Christ would want us to do. And he wants us to have charity for others. It's amazing how much I can love these crazy Connecticutians and Rhode Islanders. Without charity, you are nothing.
Sunday we got to experience TWO baptisms! Sadly enough, none of them were our investigators. The assistants had a baptism of a twelve-year-old girl named Deszchelene (I might have missed a letter or two in that one). She's the daughter of a recently re-activated member. She had to overcome her fear of water so she could be baptized. Then we headed up to Suffield to watch a child of record baptism in a pond! We were a bit late so we didn't get to see the actual baptism. But it was SOOO beautiful! It had been raining all day so there was a light mist over the pond. Plus the leaves are starting the change so it created a beautiful backdrop for such a sacred event! 
Thanks for all of your great examples, especially those who have served missions. It is TOUGH! And I admire all of you who have served. But now I know what great blessings come to us because of it. Remember those times on your missions!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments
Post a Comment