Posted on 3:29 PM

Faith, Hope, Charity

By Brenda's Mom at 3:29 PM

From email of Nov. 9, 2009: The highlight of this week was going on exchanges with the Fairfield Sisters. I went down there with my old comp, Sister Monson, while Sister Johnston joined the Windsor trio. That was my first trip down there to the "richest county in America." Oh, boy! There definitely was a difference in the people! Up here in Windsor, most are humble and willing to talk. But in Fairfield, they run at a faster pace. They think that they don't have time for religion. There are humble people, though. I was able to help teach a new member lesson to a woman who was baptized last Sunday. I could see the light in her eyes now that she had followed the example of Jesus Christ into the waters of baptism. Things like this strengthen my testimony of the restored gospel. I've had these wonderful blessings my whole life, but it is something else when you see the light come into a once darkened spirit.

We also helped the Bridgeport Spanish branch prepare for their musical fireside. Sister Monson is a music genius so she was able to extend her talents to help them. They are a small, yet humble group. But it shows that the Lord's work is going forth to every people and every country.

We were finally able to meet with the Mejias kids after a long absence. We strung string all throughout their living room and kitchen and told them to follow the string, or as we called it, the iron rod. They had such a blast trying to "hold fast" and not following the temptations of the adversary (me!). We had been worried about one of the boys because he hasn't been to church in a few months nor sat in on our lessons, but he enjoyed the lesson. Jonathan, the other boy, is an amazing example for them and also for me! He comes to church by himself, reads his scriptures daily, serves others, shares the gospel, and he's only 13! And he's only been a member for about six months. We're predicting he's going to be a future apostle. :) I love these kids so very much! It's an honor to have been able to teach them.

Sunday was a special day for the Bloomfield ward. It was "Bring a Friend to Church Day." Members of the ward were encouraged to extend the invitation to their friends and family to attend church. There were three or four non-member families that came, which is a huge success for this area. The primary explained the FAITH aspect of the church through their annual program. It's amazing how much you can feel the spirit through the voices of children. As soon as they started singing, I felt the power of their words. Even some of the Sunbeams had their parts memorized and recited them without a single stutter!

The theme of Sunday School was HOPE. It didn't hit me until then that a life without hope would be so dark and dreary. Jesus Christ brings us that hope. Without him, dispair would take over and there would be no looking forward to the blessings that Heavenly Father has in store. One of the greatest things that I have hope for is the time that I can be with ALL of my family in the Celestial kingdom. I'd better see you all there! Relief Society & Priesthood focused on CHARITY. I'm so thankful to be part of an organization that gives so much. We truly are happiest when we are serving the Lord.

We've made a good friendship with one of the less-actives in the ward, Sister Perkins. She is originally from Jamaica, but just earned her citizenship in the United States this week. We celebrated with her by eating papaya and mango, Jamaican specialties! She has such a huge heart. At this time, she is taking care of a 96-year-old lady and is by her side every minute. Back in Jamaica, she owned a shop and whenever she would see a child without shoes or clothing, she would take those items from her shop and give it to them, free of charge. That is a perfect example of charity! I have grown to love the people that I serve so very much. At the beginning of my mission, I didn't think it was possible to love them like I do now. But the spirit does amazing things in the hearts of these Connecticans, and also in mine.

This is the last week of the transfer so I could possibly move, but I could also stay. I just don't know yet! I haven't had any inclination either way. I'm willing to follow whatever the Lord has in store for me. Keep reading your scriptures, praying and serving others daily! I promise you GREAT blessings from Heavenly Father when you do so!

0 comments