Posted on 12:11 PM

Christmas in Connecticut?

By Brenda's Mom at 12:11 PM

Dec. 15, 2008 email: NOPE! I'm getting exiled to East Providence, RI! I'm super excited about it. I hear that it's the "big city." My new companion will be Sister Jones from SLC (in red sweater vest below). She's a hard worker so hopefully I'll pick up on that. Sister Haueter is going off to Windsor...they're closing Canton for a short time. I guess there hasn't been much progress the past few years. The sad thing is this past week has been our best ever. Oh well. President knows what the Lord wants. The Bristol Elders will be taking care of the area for the time being.

Thursday was probably our biggest day. We had a great district meeting & then went out for district unity because that was our last time together. The zone leader that was there on exchanges (because Elder Bodily was at the temple...going home Wednesday!) asked me if I knew any Cranneys from southern Idaho. I said I did...he says that Bryce Cranney is/was the ward mission leader out in West Warrick, RI or somewhere around there. Crazy!

We had a lesson with Lillian after that. Our main focus was on prayer & finding out if the Book of Mormon was true. We got off on a little tangent because she wondered why a loving Heavenly Father would let so much suffering happen. We explained that sometimes we don't have all the answers. Some suffering occurs because of the agency of others, but sometimes, such as in the case of cancer, things just happen. Heavenly Father can see the big picture. He knows what's best for us. She committed to read the BOM, which is a huge step. We're slowly softening her old, stubborn heart. :)

The Perdomos were later that night, too. Our main focus was prayer & scripture study. It was a great lesson! We read passages from the BOM out loud with the kids. They are such special kids. They are very ready for the Gospel. We've tried to get the family to church ever since I've been here and it finally happened this week! Four investigators at church! I'm going to miss that family very much. They hold a very, very special place in my heart. Friday we had a "Sisters' Seminar" (right) at the mission home in West Hartford. It was great! The assistants did trainings on how to find investigators & how to improve our teaching skills. Its nice to get an outsiders opinion on those things because us Sisters have been trained by the same people and we are all stuck in the same "box" of thinking. I truly felt the Spirit there & it got me excited about the work.

We got a tiny bit of that ice storm, but most of it was just rain. And I mean RAIN! The next few days were bitterly cold, but today is beautiful! I wish the whole winter was like this. If you come across any good object lessons/stories/etc. that I can apply to the missionary lessons, send them to me, please! I need to spice up my teaching a bit. Thanks to all of you who have sent me letters & packages. Thanks to grandma especially for the scarf & money. They help so much! Love you all and hope you have a great week!

0 comments