Dec. 22, 2008 email: New England got dumped on with snow! I honestly don't know how much we've gotten in the past few days...but it's been a lot! It all started Friday afternoon while we were in the middle of our Christmas Mission Conference. It was a good program besides the fact that I have a cold & I couldn't sing! But our 3 songs still turned out pretty good. It took Sister Jones & me 2 hours to get to Bloomfield, CT...but 4 1/2 hours to get back home! The roads were VERY snowy and we crept along at about 30 mph. Luckily we made it back to East Prov. without any problems. It continued to snow up until last night. Church was cancelled yesterday so a member invited us over for dinner...yum!
So I didn't get my packages before I left. SAD! Luckily the Bristol Elders were checking on our apartment & mail so they let me know that I had 3 packages waiting. They're going to forward them to me today. Hopefully they get here in time for Christmas!
Now on to the actual missionary work related things. I love Rhode Island. It's a totally different world over here, but its a good one! Our area covers East Providence, Barrington, and the east side of Providence. We've got downtown Providence (all those big buildings!) and the famed mall in the area. Plus there are quite a few colleges and universities around. I love all the activity and people out and about. Much different than "sticksy" Canton. My first night in RI & the very first door I knocked on, some guy let us in, which is a very rare occasion! His company has offices in Salt Lake City & the head of the company is LDS. We had a nice little chat with him & taught a watered down Restoration lesson. He claims to still be non-religious or spiritual, but hopefully our words will spark something inside of him. I've only met one of our investigators, Angela. She's in her 50s and is progressing along well. We just have to repeat things over and over until it finally clicks with her.
Our ward (Central Falls) covers our area & also Pawtucket (pronounced without the W). Rhode Islanders drop letters and add ones that shouldn't be there, such as "ideer" for idea & "South Afriker" for South Africa. Crazy people. Pawtucket is mostly Portuguese speaking so we have some Portuguese speaking Elders in the ward. Elder Lima & Elder Gonzales are both from Brazil, but Elder Lima has lived in Utah for quite a few years. Elder Gonzales didn't speak a lick of English before he came, but he's doing great now. I guess the sacrament meetings here are split with some talks in English & some in Portuguese. But I have yet to experience it!
The work is progressing along good here & I'm seeing many miracles happen. I love working with Sister Jones. She's got a great attitude & an amazing work ethic. Maybe I can pick up on a little of that. I hope you all have a WONDERFUL & MERRY Christmas! I'm glad things are going well back home. Remember the real meaning of Christmas & carry the spirit of Christmas in your hearts all year long. If everyone did that, the world would be a better place. Love you all! Sister Darrington
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments
Post a Comment